The Utrecht Excellence Scholarship (UES) is a highly selective program meant for talented international students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA = the EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway) who seek to pursue a Master’s degree at Utrecht University. Check: 2022 Josephus Foundation Scholarship for Undergraduates
As an international student, you’ll be in good company at Utrecht University. Every year, approximately 1,500 international students come to the university to take English-taught degree programs and other courses. Students work and study closely together, learning to operate in an international environment from the outset. This is essential for scientists and scholars in our increasingly globalized world.
Founded in 1636 and located in the heart of the Netherlands, Utrecht University is one of Europe’s leading research universities. We are recognized internationally for our high-quality, innovative approach to research and teaching.
To be eligible for an Utrecht Excellence Scholarship, the following criteria must be met:
- Belong to the top 10% of your graduating class;
- Not hold an EU/EEA passport and not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans;
- Have completed your secondary school and/or Bachelor’s degree outside the Netherlands;
- Have applied for an international Master’s programme with a start date of 1 September, 2022. Not all programmes participate, please check UU masters > Master’s programme > Tuition fees and financial support to see if the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship is mentioned as a scholarship opportunity.
Eligible candidates are selected for a scholarship on the basis of the following criteria:
- Academic quality and promise in the proposed field of study, as evidenced by your Master’s application;
- Academic excellence, as evidenced by proof of belonging to the top 10% of your graduating class (class ranking certificate, GPA with grade distribution overview, statement/reference letter signed and stamped by your University);
- The quality and relevance of the motivation letter for the Master’s programme (academic content, intercultural and communication skills, personal motivation);
- The quality of the application for the Master’s programme itself (completeness, accuracy, consistency).
The Utrecht Excellence scholarship can be awarded as:
- tuition fees
- tuition fees plus the required income linked to a residence permit for study as set by the Immigration and Naturalisation Service, for one year.
In a 2-years Master’s programme the scholarship can be renewed for the second year.
The funds for the scholarships come from the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship Fund, established by Utrecht University and from contributions by Utrecht University alumni.
How To Apply
After submitting an application (or applications) for an UES eligible Master’s programme, before the determined deadline, non-EU/EEA students will have the option to submit an application for one Utrecht Excellence Scholarship from 1 November 2021.
You will see the UES application(s) in your Osiris Online Application account dashboard. Click view/edit for the UES linked to the programme you wish to apply for, upload the requested proof of belonging to the top 10%, answer the questions and submit the application.
Prospective students who wish to be considered for the scholarship must apply before 31 January 2022 (23:59 CET), after which the application portal will be closed.