The Amgen Scholars Internship Program provides hundreds of undergraduates each year with the opportunity to undertake scientific research projects at many of the world’s leading institutions.
Launched in 2006 in the United States, 2008 in Europe, and 2015 in Japan at the University of Tokyo and Kyoto University, Amgen Scholars has expanded to additional world-class institutions in the U.S., Canada, Europe, Australia and Asia!
- Level of Study: Undergraduate
- Institution(s): Uviversity of Tokyo
- Study in: Japan
- Benefits: Fully funded
- Program Period:2 months.
- Deadline: 1st February 2022
The objective of the program is to provide undergraduate students from different countries (including some from Japan) who are committed to or who are considering a career in biology or related sciences and looking to continue to graduate studies, with eight weeks of biomedical research experience in the basic and translational sciences.
Research experiences are being provided by faculty members of the:
- Graduate School of Medicine
- Graduate School of Engineering
- Graduate School of Science
- Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences
- Institute of Industrial Science.
By the end of their summer experience, students are expected to acquire knowledge and skills for conducting research. The students are also expected to extend their international friendship through the collaborative experiences. These experiences will help the students to develop future collaborations in many situations.
Please note that the contents of the program may be changed/cancelled depending on the situation and restrictions imposed in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Check this Offer: Fully funded SBW Berlin Scholarships in Germany 2022
UTokyo Amgen Scholars Internship Program applicants must be undergraduate students who are:
- Enrolled in colleges or universities worldwide that award a bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent); and
- At the minimum, have completed their first year of undergraduate study at the time the summer program begins, and
- Are not graduating before the summer program begins, and after the summer program ends will resume undergraduate studies for at least 1 semester or 1 quarter
- Have a strong record of academic performance; and
- Have good working knowledge of English, demonstrated by a minimum TOEFL (iBT) score of 72, IELTS overall band score of 5.5, Cambridge English FCE, TOEIC score of 1095, TOEIC L&R score of 785, or TOEIC S&W score of 310, if not a native English speaker or English is not your first language, and
- Have an interest in pursuing a Ph.D.
- To devote full effort in participation in the Amgen Scholars Internship Program, Scholars cannot take any courses or hold a job throughout the duration of the program. In addition, all participants must be able to attend the program for its entire duration.
- To live in the accommodation provided by UTokyo.
- To participate fully in the day-to-day life of the research group, respect the work of all members of the laboratory, and attend and participate in laboratory meetings or other gatherings.
- To attend the orientation on the first day of the program, all required conferences, activities and social events.
- To give a poster/presentation describing his/her summer research project.
- To submit a research paper to the UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program Director at the conclusion of the program.
- Near-campus accommodation
- Stipend of 250,000 JPY
- Economy-class airline tickets for flights, or round-trip train tickets for domestic students, will be provided to participate in the program and the Amgen Scholars Asia Symposium to be held in Singapore. The most economical and direct route and travel schedule will be stipulated based on the discussion between participants and the program office. If the schedule is changed for personal reasons of the participant, they will be required to repay the University of Tokyo the cost of the original booked flights.
- Note: All students must arrange their own private health & travel insurance. Please be aware that neither the Amgen Foundation nor the University of Tokyo can provide health/travel insurance.
In addition to working full time in the laboratory for 8 weeks, the Amgen Scholars Internship Program features:
- Visits to Graduate Schools and Institutes
- Information Sessions on How to Apply to Graduate Schools at UTokyo
- Special seminars and luncheons where students can meet and have discussions
- Access to UTokyo campus facilities such as the Library, Health Care Center and Gymnasium
- Japanese cultural events
- Portrait photo
- Scanned copy of passport/ID card
- Academic Transcript
- Proof of English Proficiency
- Consent form
- Two Recommendation Letters
How to Apply
To apply, please follow all application directions closely and get an early start on obtaining the supporting documents. Please review the selection criteria before submitting your application. All applications must be submitted online.
Application Deadline: February 1, 2022 at 3:00 pm JST (Japan Standard Time=UTC+9:00)
– Mid-March, 2022: Applicants notified of decision
– June 6, 2022: Participants must have arrived in Tokyo by this date
– June 7, 2022: UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program 2022 starts
– August 1, 2022: UTokyo Amgen Scholars Internship Program ends
– August 2/3, 2022: Move to Singapore (Subject to Change)
– August 4-6, 2022: Amgen Scholars Asian Symposium in Singapore (Subject to Change)