This is to announce the commencement 2022 Tongarewa Scholarships for International students. Therefore, application is invited for suitably qualified international students to New Zealand.
This is a partial fee-based scholarship that will go towards tuition fees for one year of study. Applicants can be either entering their first year of an undergraduate degree or entering a postgraduate degree programme at Victoria University of Wellington.
We highly recommend reading through this article before applying for this scholarship to understand all of the specifics about it, including Eligibility, Scholarship Benefits, How to Apply, the Application Deadline, and other pertinent information. Also See: Fully funded Rhodes Scholarships at Oxford University in United Kingdom 2023
- Institution(s): Victoria University of Wellington
- Category: Undergraduate | Postgraduate
- Host Country: New Zealand
- Eligible Countries: International
- Reward: $5000 – $10,000 one time payment
- Deadline: 1st September 2022
The Tongarewa Scholarships celebrate the University’s commitment to our international student community. We award a range of these scholarships to international students each year.
Scholarships are awarded competitively on the basis of academic excellence. They apply to study in the year following application and will be credited to tuition fees. Shortlisted candidates may be requested to provide additional information to support their application.
To qualify for consideration, applicants MUST be:
- international students who are paying full international fees
- entering their first year of an undergraduate degree or entering a postgraduate degree.
You are not eligible for this scholarship if you:
- completed your secondary education at a New Zealand school
- completed the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) or Foundation Studies Programme
- are a Study Abroad or Twinning student from one of our overseas partner universities
- are in your second year of study in the same degree programme at Victoria University of Wellington.
If you are not eligible for the Tongarewa Scholarship 2022, you can search for alternative Scholarship Opportunities here
- These scholarships are for partial fees. Up to 10 scholarships of NZ$10,000 will be available to both undergraduate and postgraduate recipients and up to 9 scholarships of NZ$5,000 will be available to postgraduate recipients only.
- These scholarships will be credited to tuition fees after the final withdrawal date for the courses of the trimester the recipient(s) have been awarded for (roughly two weeks in to the trimester).
- Recipients of these scholarships are guaranteed an offer of a place in one of our Halls of Residence, provided an accommodation application is received by University Accommodation Wellington by their deadline
The following documentation must be provided as part of your online scholarship application:
- a personal statement of up to 500 words outlining why you wish to study at Victoria University of Wellington, your academic goals and why you merit the scholarship. You should also include any leadership positions and details of your involvement in your school or community
- full transcripts and other documentation relevant to the qualification type
- an offer of place from Victoria University of Wellington (conditional or unconditional).
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.
You might be interested in this: University of Winnipeg President’s Scholarship 2022
How to Apply
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. To start your application, click ‘Click here to Apply’. Ensure you upload the documents listed above.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm for the Trimester 3, 2022 by 1 September. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.