The Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships are aimed at young researchers from abroad who have completed a master’s degree or PhD and at foreign artists holding a bachelor’s degree.
The research scholarship is available to post-graduate researchers in any discipline (who hold a master’s degree as a minimum) who are planning to come to Switzerland to pursue research or further studies at doctoral or post-doctoral level. Check: Fully Funded OIST Research Internship Program in Japan 2022
We highly recommend reading through this article before applying for this scholarship to understand all of the specifics about it, including Eligibility, Scholarship Benefits, How to Apply, the Application Deadline, and other pertinent information.
- Institution(s):One of the 10 Swiss cantonal universities | the two Swiss federal institutes of technology or public teaching and research institutes.
- Category: PhD
- Host Countries: Switzerland
- Eligible Countries: International
- Reward: fully funded
- Deadline: varies according to country
Each year the Swiss Confederation awards Government Excellence Scholarships to promote international exchange and research cooperation between Switzerland and over 180 other countries.
Recipients are selected by the awarding body, the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS).
For general and detailed eligibility criteria, please see the country info sheets below
If you are not eligible for the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships 2022, you can search for alternative Scholarship Opportunities here.
The scholarship includes:
- a monthly stipend
- tuition fee waivers
- health insurance
- air travel, and housing allowance, among other benefits
Types of scholarship
- The research scholarship is available to post-graduate researchers in any discipline (who hold a master’s degree as a minimum) who are planning to come to Switzerland to pursue research or further studies at doctoral or post-doctoral level.
Research scholarships are awarded for research or study at all Swiss cantonal universities, universities of applied sciences and the two federal institutes of technology, as well as the four research institutes. Only candidates nominated by an academic mentor at one of these higher education institutions will be considered.
- Art scholarships are open to art students wishing to pursue an initial master’s degree in Switzerland.
Art scholarships are awarded for study at any Swiss conservatory or university of the arts. This scholarship is available to students from a limited number of countries only.
Don’t Miss This: Fully funded Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program 2022/2023
Applications are subject to preliminary selection by the relevant national authorities and/or the Swiss diplomatic representation. The short-listed applications are then assessed by the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS), which takes the final decision.
The FCS assesses scholarship applications according to three criteria:
- Candidate profile
- Quality of the research project or artistic work
- Synergies and potential for future research cooperation
The FCS is composed of professors from all Swiss public universities. Scholarship awards are decided on the basis of academic and scientific excellence.
For further information and the application documents, choose your country of origin based on your passport.
How to Apply
Qualified Candidates who are interested in this scholarship should click the link below to apply.
Study the application deadlines as well as the many types of scholarships available. These differ from country to country. You’ll also learn what to do next and where to go for further information. Please check for your country’s eligibility and deadline in the link below.