The Griffith University International Postgraduate Research Scholarship is available to apply for during the University’s Continuous Scholarship Round. The GUIPRS covers tuition fees for the applicant for up to three years for doctoral candidates and up to two years for research masters candidates. In addition, the scholarship covers Overseas Student Health Cover for the applicant and any dependant/s for the duration of the scholarship.
Griffith University was established in 1971 in the Australian state of South East Queensland. It is a public research university with a student body of about 50,000. Visual and creative arts, science and aviation, humanities and languages, engineering and information technology, planning and architecture, business and government, criminology and law, education, environment, health, and music are among the academic fields in which Griffith University offers Bachelors, Research, and Postgraduate Degrees.
The GUIPRS is available to international applicants who are commencing or enrolled in a research program (for which RTP support is available). A GUIPRS will not be awarded to a candidate who is in receipt of an equivalent award or scholarship from the Commonwealth Government designed to offset research program tuition fees. Applicants should refer to current GUIPRS conditions of award (PDF, 173k) for further details.
To be eligible for a GUIPRS, an applicant must:
- not be a domestic student, as defined as being a student who is an Australian citizen; or an Australian permanent resident or holder of an Australian Permanent
- Humanitarian visa; or a New Zealand citizen; and
- be commencing or enrolled in a HDR program (for which GUIPRS support isavailable) at Griffith University.
- A GUIPRS will not be awarded to a candidate who is in receipt of an equivalent award or scholarship from the Commonwealth Government designed to offset HDR program tuition fee.
- The tenure of a GUIPRS award is, from the date of program commencement, up to two years for a Masters’s (Research) candidate and up to three years for a Doctoral candidate.
- Continuation of receipt of the GUIPRS during the tenure of the award is dependent upon evidence of the awardee’s satisfactory progress in the HDR program, through the timely completion of candidature milestones and satisfactory annual progress reports.
- The tenure of a GUIPRS award will be reduced by any period of study undertaken:
a. towards the research project and/or degree prior to the commencement of the
b. towards the degree during the suspension of the award.
- A Doctoral candidate making satisfactory progress may apply for an extension to the GUIPRS tenure for up to a maximum of six months. An extension will only be approved where the grounds for the extension:
a. relate to the study and are beyond the control of the candidate, and could not have
been reasonably anticipated at the commencement of the program; or
b. is on the basis of the candidate undertaking an industry placement, research
internship or professional practice activity of more than 30 days duration, approved by the Dean Research as part of the HDR program, as per Section 9 of these Conditions of Award.
- A request for an extension must be made at least one month before (but no more than two months before) the expiry date of the award. Awardees enrolled in a Masters (Research) are not entitled to an extension of the award.
- The fee offset provided by the GUIPRS removes the liability of the awardee to pay program tuition fees for the tenure of the award.
- The following ancillary costs of undertaking the HDR program are provided for under the terms of this scholarship:
a. the cost of a standard Overseas Student Health Cover policy which covers the
candidate and dependents (if any) for up to 42 months; and
b. the Student Services and Amenities Fee for which the scholarship recipient would
otherwise be liable during the tenure of the scholarship
How to apply
To Apply for the Griffith University International Postgraduate Research
Scholarship (GUIPRS), click the link below.
The deadline for this application is 26th April 2022.