Start your study adventure in South Africa. Good news! University of Cape Town MasterCard Foundation Scholarships is currently open!
The Mastercard Foundation has collaborated with the University of Cape Town (UCT) to oversee the implementation of financial, academic, social, and post-graduation support to scholarship recipients.
We highly recommend reading through this article before applying for this Scholarship to understand all of the specifics about it, including Eligibility, Scholarship Benefits, How to Apply, the Application Deadline, and other pertinent information. Study in Germany: Top Universities in Germany with no Tuition Fee for International Students 2022
- Host Country: South Africa
- Category: MSc.
- Eligible Countries: All African Countries
- Reward: Full Scholarship | Monthly stipend.
- Deadline: 25th September 2022
The Mastercard Foundation has partnered with the University of Cape Town (UCT) to oversee the implementation of financial, academic, social, and post-graduation support to awarded candidates under the scholarship.
The Program’s vision is to transform promising young people from beneficiaries to benefactors by providing them with the values, knowledge, skills, and leadership required to fuel economic and social progress across Africa. The Program seeks academically qualified undergraduate and postgraduate candidates from Africa who are economically disadvantaged and have leadership potential.
The Program will provide academically talented young Africans with scholarships to pursue undergraduate and postgraduate studies at UCT. Mentoring, leadership development, and academic and life skills support will be provided to students enrolled in the Program. Tutoring, language training, writing circles, and guidance counseling will be provided as academic support.
In order to be eligible, candidates must meet the following requirements.
- Be a citizen of an African country
- Be admitted to a Postgraduate Honours and Masters program and prepare to commence with their first year of registration in the Engineering and the Built Environment, Commerce, Health, Sciences, Humanities, Law, or Sciences faculties at UCT
- Be from an economically disadvantaged background, demonstrate financial need, and leadership potential
- Applicants who intend to register for a second Honours and Master’s postgraduate degree at the same level are ineligible to apply for this scholarship
- Applicants who have previously registered for an Honours and Masters postgraduate degree at the same level at any higher learning institution are ineligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Only applicants who have applied to the relevant academic department at UCT are eligible to apply for The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town awards.
If you are not eligible for the University of Cape Town MasterCard Foundation Scholarships 2022, you can search for alternative Scholarship Opportunities here
Scholarship Benefits and Duration
The scholarships will cover the following:
- Reimbursement of costs incurred for visa application processing
- An economy class air ticket to Cape Town South Africa for awardees who are i) citizens and/or residents of an African country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
- Full tuition fees and international student fees
- Accommodation in a student residence managed by the UCT Student Housing Admissions and Advocacy Services at UCT
- Meals through the student housing system at UCT
- Medical cover with a recommended medical aid service provider
- A living stipend; is to be used to cover ad hoc expenses pertaining to awardees’ studies
- A book allowance to purchase the prescribed textbooks required for the degree program
- Costs related to community activities as prescribed by The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town
- Access to an internship opportunity, career development, and job placement assistance
- An economy class air ticket home upon completion of studies, for awardees who are i) citizens of and/or residents of an African country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town.
- The Foundation has offered the scholarships for the full duration of the period of study, renewable annually and subject to satisfactory academic performance and demonstration of a track record of participation in the activities and opportunities offered by the Program and is not automatic.
- Where renewals are made, the eligibility of the applicant and the academic progress of the Scholar will be taken into consideration.
- Certified copy of Identity Document, Passport, or Refugee Papers
- Applicant’s Curriculum Vitae (CV) of no more than two(2) A4 pages using the following points as context:
- ⎯ Participation in Extra-Curricular Activities
- ⎯ Skills and Interests
- Academic and/or Professional Experience Certified copies of all Secondary education transcripts
- Certified copies of all current and previous Tertiary education transcripts
- Two (2) different Academic Referee Reports
- Applicants are required to produce translated copies of all academic transcripts and academic referee reports where English is not the primary language
- Referees may attach additional pages or documentation in support of the recommendation on the official institutional letterhead with the original signature, stamp, and date in support of the applicant
- Applicants are required to submit an essay, of no more than 2000 words that provides a brief explanation of the applicant’s background/circumstances and additional information using the following points as context:
- In which ways do you envisage contributing to the economic growth and social development of your country and Africa on completion of your studies, using your education as leverage?
- Explain any community service activities you have been involved in.
- List the qualities that, for you, define leadership and elaborate on leadership initiatives that you have undertaken.
How to Apply
- In order to apply for The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town, applicants must first apply to UCT for academic study and placement (Important to note – upon generating the student number, applicants may proceed with the scholarship application whilst awaiting the final academic application outcomes).
- At the point of scholarship selection, the applicant should have a conditional/firm offer from UCT.
Click ‘Click here to Apply’.
The deadline for this application is 25th September 2022.