The OIST research internship allows students to gain experience working in a research setting while being supervised by OIST faculty. Students in Bachelor’s and Master’s programs, as well as recent graduates, who are interested in joining the OIST PhD program, can work as Research Interns at OIST.
On a competitive basis, research intern positions are awarded twice a year. Selection is highly competitive and is based on the feasibility of the proposed research, academic background, financing, and available space. There is no guarantee that all open positions will be filled. Gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical impairment, medical condition, race, ethnicity, ancestry, culture, national origin, religion, or marital status are all things that OIST tries to establish and protect. Women and other underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply.
OIST Internship Summary
- Level of Study: Undergraduate & Graduate
- Institution(s): Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology
- Host country: Japan
- Reward: Fully funded
- Duration: 10 to 12 weeks
- Deadline: 15th April 2022
Check this offer: Apply Now -Women Techsters Fellowship Program 2023
Eligibility for the OIST Research Internship Program
Those eligible to apply for the OIST Research Internship Program include:
- Excellent students who are in the final 2 years of the undergraduate or Masters programs in universities, colleges, junior colleges, and vocational schools in Japan or overseas, or graduates of such institutions.
- Currently enrolled students must have approval from their home institution.
- Academic background of applicants should be appropriate to their desired host unit(s) at OIST.
- Research Interns who belong to a Japanese university/institution are required to prepare and bring their own insurances when accepted to the OIST Research Internship program. Acceptable insurances are the combination of Gakkensai and Gakkenbai, or other insurances with similar coverage.
- Computational Science
- Ecological and Marine Sciences
- Engineering, and
OIST Research Internship Benefits
- Airfare for a round-trip flight The OIST Graduate School will arrange tickets for approved applicants.
- Visa assistance
- Housing options include on-campus and off-campus options.
- Stipend for commuting support – 2,400 JPY per day (taxable).
You will need to open an account in order to apply to the program. Be sure to remember your username and password. You may complete the application all at once or in multiple sessions. Please fill out and submit the following materials to apply for the program:
1) Statement of purpose
The Statement of Interest form is provided on the online application form.
Please write a 400 words (2500 characters) statement including the following points:
- How does OIST and your desired research unit(s) fit with your current expertise and skill set? If you are interested in multiple research units, please explain your interest and fit for each briefly within one single statement.
- What do you hope to accomplish at OIST?
- How does a research internship at OIST fit into your overall career plans/aspirations?
2) Academic Transcript
Scanned copies of your current academic transcript and any other transcript from your past degree (BSc, MSc, etc.)
- An English explanation is required for transcripts that are not written in English.
3) Recommendation Letter
A letter of reference from an academic or research professional familiar with your work is required. Each applicant is required to have at least one and no more than three letters of recommendation from appropriate recommenders. The application system will ask your recommenders directly for the letter(s), using the email contact details that you provide in the web application form. Please obtain the consent of your referee before submitting their details in the form. We do not accept any letters via email from applicants. Applicants will be automatically notified within the application system when OIST receives a recommendation letter.
4) ID Photo
Upload a recent photo, showing your face from the front in standard passport orientation.Once you have obtained/ prepared all the documents above, please apply to the program through this APPLICATION FORM
Important Notice –
Please note that the Navii Application System will have maintenance on March 24th JST. During this time, the system will not be accessible for both applicants preparing to edit or submit application and recommenders attempting to upload letters of recommendation. If you experience any difficulty logging in during this time, please try again later. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
- Applications to the program must be made through the online form.
- You can only submit your application after at least one recommendation letter is received in the application system.
- You will receive an auto-notification that your application has been received. (Please check your settings to ensure you can receive emails from @oist.jp domain.)
- Following the application period, applications will be screened and selection will be completed.
- The result announcement will be posted on your application platform 3 months after the application deadline. You will receive a notification when the result is posted. (In some cases, applicants’ email services/settings prevent receipt of our notifications. Please confirm that your inbox is able to receive emails from @oist.jp domain.)
- Following final confirmation of internship offers, all necessary arrangements will be made, in cooperation with the interns. Your cooperation is required for timely completion of logistics to begin the internship, including possible visa preparations and other necessary Japanese government documentation
How to Apply
Interested applicants should ensure the documents required are complete and then go ahead with the application
The deadline for this Application is 15th April 2022