The Nigerian National Petroleum (NNPC) is one of the biggest entities in the Nigerian oil and gas sector. We know them for their exploration activities and operational interest in refining, petrochemicals, product transportation, and marketing.
Asides from this, NNPC takes a great interest in learning and development. On this note, they designed the NNPC internship program. This program caters to the skillet needs of graduates and undergraduates in Nigeria, and it spans 6-12 months.
As an applicant looking to get an internship with NNPC, it is important that you take some key factors into consideration. This includes how you present your application, your approach to the aptitude test, and many other things.
Therefore, in this article, we will be discussing all that you need to know about the NNPC internship programs. This includes how to go about your application process, the eligibility requirements, how to approach the aptitude test, and several other things you should know.
What you should know about NNPC.
The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, popularly known as NNPC, is the state oil corporation. They established this organization in the year 1977. In addition to their exploration abilities, they gave NNPC the power in operational interest in refining, petrochemicals, and product transportation.
After the establishment of this organization, more specifically between 1978 and 1989, NNPC was able to construct refineries in Warri, Kaduna, and Port Harcourt. However, in 1989, they commercialized NNPC into 12 strategic business units. This is to enable them to to cover the entire spectrum of oil industry operations, exploration and production, gas development, refining, distribution, petrochemicals, engineering, and commercial investment.
As of the time of this article, the subsidiary organizations are:
- Nigeria Petroleum Development Company (NPDC)
- The Nigeria Gas Company
- The Products and Pipelines Marketing Company (PPMC)
- Integrated Data Service Limited (IDSL)
- National Engineering and Technical Company Limited (NETCO)
- Hydrocarbon Services Nigeria Limited (HYSON)
- Warri Refinery and Petrochemical Co. Limited (WRPC)
- Kaduna Refinery and Petrochemical Co. Limited (KRPC)
- Port Harcourt Refining Co. Limited (PHRC)
- NNPC Retail
- Duke Oil
Asides from these subsidiaries, we have the Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) who are saddled with the responsibility of ensuring compliance with industry regulations.
Also Read: Shell Student Industrial Training
How does the NNPC Internship program work?
As we have earlier stated, NNPC has a great interest in learning and development. On that note, they have internship programs created for undergraduates and graduates of Nigeria’s Tertiary institutions.
- Undergraduate Internship
- Graduate Trainee Program.
- Pre-Nysc Internship
The NNPC undergraduate also known as SIWES or Industrial Training spans 6-12 months. This program affords undergraduates the privilege to equip themselves with real-time industrial experience. Asides from the fact that you will gain the basic skills needed to thrive in the workplace, you will also be provided with financial compensation at the end of your program.
Graduate Trainee Program:
The NNPC graduate trainee program is available to some selected disciplines, and it lasts for a period of 12 months. To be eligible for this program, you must have a minimum of second class upper division, second class lower with a completed Master’s degree, or HND upper credit with a completed master’s.
As a graduate trainee, you will have the opportunity to work with experienced professionals in your chosen area of specialization. Asides from this, if diligent, this opportunity might land you a permanent position in the organization.
List of Eligible Courses for NNPC Internship Program
- Computer Science
- Environmental Science
- Basin Modelling
- Surveying and Architecture
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Environmental Sciences
- Pipeline Engineering
- Business Administration
- Banking and Finance
- Supply Chain Management
- Maritime Management
- Purchasing and Supply
- Management Information System
- Human Resource Management
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- International Relations/Studies
- Mass Communication
Also Read: KPMG Internship programs
What are the Eligibility Requirements for NNPC Internships?
As an undergraduate or graduate intern, it is important that you satisfy the following criterion before NNPC can admit you as an intern:
Undergraduate Internship (Industrial Training / SIWES)
- You must be a student of any Nigerian Tertiary Institution in Nigeria.
- It is important that you possess an internal drive to succeed and must be hardworking
As a graduate trainee applicant, it is important that you satisfy the criterion below:
- Bachelor’s degree in any relevant discipline with a first-class or second class upper division
- You must have graduated from an accredited University/Monotechnic/Polytechnic
- If you have HND, they expect you to have finished with an Upper credit and must have completed a Master’s degree
- You must not be more than 28 years at the time of application
- NNPC expects that you must have finished your NYSC at the time of application.
What are the required documents for the NNPC internship program?
To be eligible for the NNPC internship program, as an undergraduate or graduate you must possess all the documents below:
- A scanned SIWES letter from your Academic institution
- School Fees proof of payment
- A passport photograph
- Your school Identity Card. Pls. note, NNPC does not accept library or Association cards.
- NYSC Discharge certificate
- An Academic transcript showing your class of degree or cumulative grade point.
- Relevant professional certifications
How can I apply for the NNPC internship programs?
Applying for the NNPC graduate trainee program is a seamless process. This is because all the application process is carried out online. Here is how to go about the process:
- The first step is to create an NNPC recruitment registration account
- After you have successfully done this, they will send you a verification link.
- On receiving the verification form, you will need to complete the registration processes below:
- BioData: This must include your Full name, phone number, email, residential address
- Passport Photo uploading: You are to upload a recent passport photograph which must be in JPEG format.
- Qualification: This must consist of your educational background. This includes your secondary, tertiary, and work experience.
- Additional Information: The additional information page must contain your means of identification and NYSC details.
- Documents Upload: You are to upload the required documents listed for your internship program.
- Summary: Before submitting, ensure that you preview your application.
After you have completed this process. You will receive an email to confirm your successful application.
Undergraduate Internship (Industrial Training)
As an Undergraduate intern, you are to visit any NNPC branch office in order to submit your documents. These are your SIWES It application letter and other documents listed in the ‘required document section’
Here are the addresses of NNPC offices you can submit your application:
- Warri Refining & Petrochemical Company Limited
(WRPC) refinery Road, Ekpan, Warri-Delta State, Nigeria.
- Port Harcourt Refining Company Limited (PHRC)
Km. 2 Alesa Road, P.O Box 585, Port Harcourt–Rivers State.
- Kaduna Refining & Petrochemical Company (KRPC)
KM 16 Kachia Road. P.M.B 2252, Kaduna – Kaduna State, Nigeria.
What happens after the application process?
If you meet all requirements, and your application is successful, all things being equal, they will call you for an aptitude test or an interview. The Aptitude test basically contains Verbal Reasoning, Numerical and Abstract.
What is the duration of NNPC Internship programs?
For graduate trainees, the program takes anywhere around 12-18 months. On the other hand, the undergraduate industrial training program takes 4-6 months. During the internship program, you will go through intensive training, coaching, and mentoring in your chosen area of specialization.
Please note that this program is in no way a pre-employment program. The aim is to equip fresh graduates and undergraduates with the right set of skills that will not only make them thrive in the workplace but also employable.
How long does it take to be hired?
The decision of when to hire interns, both undergraduate and graduate solely depends on the management of NNPC. But, all things being equal if you satisfy all eligibility requirements, and you excel at the processes, they should call you 4-6 weeks after.
What are the benefits attached to Serving as an intern at NNPC?
Here are some additional benefits:
- Financial Compensation:
NNPC Internship programs are paid. In fact, they are one of the few organizations in Nigeria that pay their intern well. During your internship as a graduate trainee, they will pay you about N200, 000–N300, 000. While on the other hand, as an undergraduate intern they will offer you anywhere around N15, 000–N30, 000 with other allowances.
- Work Experience:
In fact, this is one of the main reasons they design Industrial Training. To help students gain first-hand experience working as a professional. In addition to also help students apply technical knowledge to real-time situations.
As an Intern at NNPC, you can be sure of gaining first-hand experience relating to your area of specialization. Not only this, you will have the opportunity to apply your technical knowledge to real-life situations.
- An advantage in the Job Market:
As you already know, the Nigerian job market is very competitive. To stand out of the crowd you must possess the relevant skillset and also have tangible years of experience. The NNPC Internship program is an opportunity to gain transferrable skills and work experience that will give you an edge in the job market.
The NNPC program will serve as an avenue for you to meet different people from various fields of study. As you already know, your Network is your Net worth. The people you meet at NNPC will help you build a strong Network base that will help fast-track your career growth.
In addition to these benefits are some other benefits:
- Free Transportation to and from the office during your program
- You will have access to free lunch during your program
- Free HSE and cybersecurity training.
- The Internship opportunity can lead to permanent employment at NNPC
Conclusion:2021 NNPC Internship programs
Are you an undergraduate or graduate looking to have your internship at NNPC? If yes, apply if you meet all the requirements. There are several advantages to serving as an intern or graduate trainee at NNPC.